Undergoing MyBlogLog Verification

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Weekend

Hello weekend! Goodbye weekend!
I do know that weekend flies so fast! I wish it could be extended! H and I share this fantasy!
Our Saturday started with the dvd movie 300. I liked it although I missed watching some scenes. M would grab me in the middle of the movie and would insist that I play with him. We would go to his playroom and once he settled in, I would go back to watching the movie. At times, he would notice that I was not in his room anymore so he would go back to the living room and when he sees me, he would climb unto my lap and start playing with my hair, my eyebrows, etc. I finally got to settle him when I put his favorite "shamu rocks" show on his dvd player. He loves watching this show over and over again.
When M took his nap at 3pm, H and I decided to finish installing the vinyl blinds in the townhouse. There is one applicant for the townhouse (H's officemate) and I really like her. They are newlyweds (got married last July23). The lady who is H's officemate wants to move in right away the moment she saw our unit last week but her husband wanted to see the townhouse personally. They have not called me yet but they have filled out the application. I pray that they are the right renters for this unit! Otherwise, may God guide us to the right people.
We finished installing the blinds by 5pm. We were not able to install the blinds in the sliding door leading to the patio because said blinds lacked 2 inches. Bitin! It did not look good so we had to place a special order for said blinds! It was 109 inches long and we bought 107 inches only!
We then went to Home Depot to buy some more wood for M's cabinet.
The next day, Sunday, I woke up at 8am. MIL was craving for shrimps so we drove to the shrimp store and bought 5 pounds of shrimps. She wanted to go to Walmart but I begged off as I have a schedule in church. Today, I am the assigned closed captioner for the Sunday Mass. I volunteered last March as the ad for a closed captioner caught my eye when I read the church's bulletin. The requirement for a captioner was 60wpm and should be willing to undergo training. I know I can type fast but not like the required one but I want to serve in my own little way. The ad said one can reach out to the homebound people by typing the words at the mass. So I applied and went on training.
At the moment, being a captioner really brightens my Sundays. It is nice that I am able to give back something to our Dear God. The computer can be really smart at times or really dumb. (sorry lord) Inside the tv crew room, I am provided with a headset and a microphone. Whenever I say, "The word of the Lord", the computer would sometimes type "The word of the Board" or "praise the lord" it will type "racist Lord". So whenever I see it on the computer screen, I should be fast enough to erase it and type the correct word. I only have 2-3 seconds to correct it. Otherwise, the wrong words will appear on the tv screen and home bound people, mostly elderly, or those who cannot afford to go to the mass and just watch the mass at home in their television would be shocked upon reading those words. I got to be trained by C, B and A though C is my favorite trainor. She told me to just pray before I start the captioning and just have fun doing it. Sometimes the computer can have a mind of his own and would type words other than the ones I have said. Trainor B is a perfectionist. He would insist I type a comma or a period after a sentence. He wants the word of God to be precise. Of course nobody wants to have mispelled words shown on the tv but sometimes it is just inevitable.
This morning, in the middle of the gospel, my computer hanged. I would type and say the words but it just would not pick up what I typed or said. I was tensed for a while. Then on the tv screen ( I had a tv beside my computer so it is like watching two screens at the same time) I saw the characters.."&*&(*&T!(*)(*))..I opted to close the program and thought of rebooting the computer. It will take some time so I figured to close the "caption-maker" program and click it again to initialize. Praise God it worked!!! So I was out like for a minute and went back live again afterwards.
I am telling you, it can be stressful to type everything in the mass especially the sermon where you had to repeat every word the priest say. I also had to type all the songs, etc..EVERYTHING!!!
Which brings me to a question, how do i type a musical note? I know how to type the N - read as enye. (alt 164) --it does not work this time, sorry..Kaartehan lang, I want to type that musical note before a hymn or song.. Does anyone know? Please help me as I would truly appreciate it!

4 comments:

Pia said...

hi dang! thanks for the comment on my blog... tagal ko na hindi nakabisita dito - so much happening now! and wow, your little boy is no longer a baby! nakakatuwa naman si hubby, magaling na carpenter!

MrsPartyGirl said...

wow ang galing naman sideline mo. ang laking tulong niyan sa mga taong may kapansanan :)

anyway, pasensiya ka na i have no idea sa prob mo hehe. pwede mo kaya i-italics na lang yung lyrics? as opposed to block lettering pag spoken word?

elapot said...

hay naku dang, mismo! napakabiles ng weekend! napakabusy ksi, eheheh

Dang said...

hi pia! salamat daw sabi ni hubs!!
hi meeya! hinde eh..lahat kasi naka capital na. nag google ako sa ascii pero wala naman ang musical note. inggit ako kasi me nakita ako sa captioning sa oprah na me musical note while singing a commercial..pano kaya yun? pero thank you pa rin sa yo huh..mwah.!